Saturday, May 14, 2011

Cleric Stole #1

Greetings to you all!!

I'm finally getting around to producing pictures of the cleric stole I tatted and made about 2 years ago. I made it for a colleague at the hospital who lost her stole in a flood. (The fish tank in Pediatrics leaked and flooded her office destroying many of her personal items including a beautiful silk stole)

Here is a picture of the finished stole...



As you can see, white rough silk was the fabric and there were a few tatted motifs in 'windows'.



For the current stole (stole #2), I've tatted most of the motifs and the edging...but, now I'm stuck. I want to tat a triangle I found in Blomqvist and Persson found on page 49. However, the pattern doesn't make sense to me. The scanner is not working to scan a pic of the pic...but if any of you have this book, Please, Please look at the pattern and let me know what they mean when it comes to (join to loop of thread twice, + in picot)....I don't get it.

I hope to cut and sew the stole today and then start attaching the motifs either tomorrow or during next week.

Help me out here... I can always put a different motif into the 'window'...just kinda wanted a triangle.

Have a great day!
John

11 comments:

  1. Good morning, John!

    I just doodled with the pattern, and I'm reading it as repeat the three ring pattern 2x. I don't have the thread join quite right, but by looking at the pattern and the instructions, I'm convinced that those three rings make up a point of the triangle. After repeating the three rings two times, there are only two rings left to finish the motif.

    I love the stole you made! Too bad it was ruined. My mom has woven some stoles, and I've made tatted crosses for them. I'm going to forward a link to this page for her. I'm sure she'll love your work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOpps..clarification.
    Diane, thanks for your work on this.
    The white stole replaced the damaged stole...I thought it was the least I could do for her.
    again, thanks!!
    john

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, I've tatted this one and I remember struggling with it a bit. Which part didn't make sense? There's more than one spot for me! Try drawing it out on paper and see where it takes you and then compare it to the photo. I think it begins in the lower right ring of the top "triangle". You have a space of thread before you start the clover and then when you end the clover, you join at the base of the clover and then with a space of thread again to match the first, you join at the picot at the beginning of the first chain and also the picot of the first ring. Then you make that last ring and chain, joining the chain to the last ring of the clover and then to the picot of the ring just made. Then you do it all over again twice. If that doesn't make sense, email me and I'll draw it out with arrows showing the direction to go in. These patterns just assume you'll figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and the stole is gorgeous! She'll love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so nice, how do you construct it? Is there some pattern for the material? That seems like such a nice thing to make! (:

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mistake, John! I just re-read your post, and I realized I misunderstood. I guess that's what I get for reading and posting before having coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  7. John, your tating is beautifully done! What a lovely stole!
    I have this book, too, but have found most of the patterns can be very confusing for me. I'm not any help, I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The stole is pretty - what a nice thing for you to do!

    Can't help with the pattern, but I will love to see it when it's done :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I tried test-tatting this, and Gina's description is quite right and much easier to follow than the original pattern. I think what the pattern is referring to by the "loop of thread" that you join twice in is simply the bare thread already created between the previous chain and the first ring of the clover. Because the chain and the ring are joined, the chain, ring, and bare thread make a triangle shape, and when the bare thread side of the triangle is bent I suppose you could call it a loop. As Gina says, you join once to that at the base of the first ring of the clover and then join again at the bottom of the bare thread, right above the chain. Then the "+ in picot" refers to joining to the picot of the first ring made (the 4-4-10).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your tatting looks lovely and will lokk beautiful on the stole. I am sorry I dont have this book, so I am unable to help with the pattern. I hope with the help of all those above you manage to tatt the tranigle. I look forward to seeing the finished item
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete