Sunday, May 5, 2013

Finally, A New Project!

Greetings to you all!!

My tatting life is so different these days.  I used to tat about 2-3 hours each day.... Now, it's down to two-three rings and chains.  BUT, I'm tatting!

I have chosen my next project and need a bit of advice.  Mary Konoir is my newest inspiration.  I'm going to tat a piece for my family again.  This time it's a wedding hankie.  I'm going to adapt the Jabot Collar pattern from Mary Konior's Tatting with Visual Patterns.  Here's the inspiration.




I chose a simple vintage pulled thread hankie for the blank in this project.  This first pass of simple rings and chains will be tatted in a light blue.  I'm hoping the color won't be too overpowering for the remaining white rows.  Your opinions on this will be greatly appreciated!!  I've started the row and will probably continue.  However, plans are to tat a second hankie if the current project turns out well.  I'll begin the jabot pattern on the next row.



Have you tatted this pattern before?  For those who have, were you happy with the outcome?

Also, for the corners, I will be manipulating the pattern again.  My question is, "should I 'drop' the corners the way Mary did for the front of the collar?"  I would only go down about 3 or 4 repeats and then advance to the next side of the hankie.  This would provide added 'frilliness' to the overall lace.

So, I'm hoping my description is clear and you will share your opinions!!

Until next time, Peace!!
John

8 comments:

  1. that will be a very pretty hanky. I have not tatted that pattern. The blue is not bright in the picture so it should work very well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the book but never done this pattern, It should look wonderful and the blue will just take some of the plain whiteness off the edging. I look forward to seeing how it works out.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have done this one, only once and it sold quickly. I think that doing the corners like the centre of the jabot would look wonderful.
    Meryl in Australia

    ReplyDelete
  4. The blue is terrific!

    For corners, try the mirror technique. Put a small square mirror at right angles to the part of the pattern you would like to be the corner and see what you should tat. Clear?

    This is how I figure out what I will do for the corner when it is not clear in a pattern.
    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent tatting! Never seen it could be that good. Tatting for wedding hankie? That’s really unique and elegant. I’m really excited how it would look like. Better update us for the next few days of your project. Good luck and I hope you have great doing what you love. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Impressed with all the wonderful work you create! Being so inspired to try making tatting itself, but becomes so so disappointed when I do not get it. But with practice and patience, one can perhaps manage to get it to ... In the meantime, one might follow your project and dream on about that sometime in the future could achieve something similar!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it and actually saw one on eBay for sale years ago, and kept the picture of it and made 2 white hankies like it. I made 4 corner motifs and did the netting(which goes by fast by the way)in between. The Blue looks nice and the one one ebay had blue on it too that was very light. You will be very happy with it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Jon.
    This is great inspiration!
    I just startet tatting...and I love it:)
    Your work is impression!

    ReplyDelete